A flavorful bowl of oats to start off your morning right.
To assemble the individual servings:
1. Spread the glass containers or bags out on the counter and divide the dry ingredients among them as follows: ⅓ cup oats, ½ ounce apples, 1 chopped date, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and a dash of salt. Stir to combine, then cover to store.
2. Place the oatmeal mixture in a heatproof bowl (if not using a heatproof storage jar), add the hot milk mixture, and stir to combine. Let sit 1 minute. Stir again, add 1 to 2 tablespoons milk or water, if needed, to achieve desired consistency, and serve immediately.
To prepare a serving in the microwave:
1. Pour the oatmeal mixture into a heatproof bowl (or use the storage jar if it is heatproof), add ⅓ cup water and ⅓ cup milk, and stir well.
2. Heat in the microwave for 2 minutes. Stir again and let sit for 1 minute. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons milk or water, if needed, to achieve desired consistency, and serve immediately.
To prepare a serving on the stovetop:
1. Pour ⅓ cup milk into a small saucepan, add ⅓ cup water, and bring to a simmer over low heat.
Variations: Feel free to mix and match other unsweetened freeze-dried fruits instead of the apples, such as strawberries, bananas, and blueberries, or use unsweetened dried cherries or raisins. Try replacing the brown sugar with maple sugar or coconut sugar. Toasted walnuts, pumpkin seeds, or slivered almonds and fresh fruit make great toppings.
Tip: The instant oatmeal mixture will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.
Excerpted from Half the Sugar, All the Love by Jennifer Tyler Lee and Anisha Patel, MD, MSPH. Photographs by Erin Scott. Workman Publishing ©2019
recipes by: Jennifer Tyler Lee & Anisha Patel, MD, MSPH Photography by: Erin Scott