Utterly predictable is my love of salted caramel. No amount of willpower can keep me away if it is within reach – add chocolate and I go weak at the knees. These meringues are unusual in so far as they are cooked for a very short time. The result is almost marshmallow-like.
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2. Line two large baking trays with greaseproof paper. Mix ½ teaspoon of the sea salt with the caramel and set aside. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water and set aside to cool.
3. On a medium speed, whisk the egg whites in the bowl of an electric stand mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. When added, increase the speed to high and continue whisking for about 8 minutes. Reduce the speed and add the white wine vinegar. Increase the speed again and whisk for another 2 minutes.
4. Spoon ten meringues onto the trays and drizzle a little of the salted caramel on top. Swirl into the meringue mixture using a knife. Drizzle a little chocolate over each meringue, and again, gently swirl into the meringue. Sprinkle over the remaining sea salt.
5. Place in the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 250°F and then bake for 30 minutes. Turn the oven off and allow to cool for a further 30 minutes in the oven. Set aside to cool.
SKINNY DESSERTS: 80 FLAVOR-PACKED RECIPES OF LESS THAN 300 CALORIES by Kathryn Bruton; Cover photography by Laura Edwards; Kyle Books, an imprint of Octopus Books, distributed in the US by Hachette; May 2019.