No one likes cutting out the foods they love, so instead of completely cutting them out, try switching to more natural alternatives to see a real change in your overall health.
What is it?
The Mediterranean diet focuses mainly on natural foods with little to no saturated fats.Primarily, the food groups to eat for this diet includes fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, whole grains (quinoa, whole wheat bread) seafood, and other white meats. This style of eating is inspired by popular food items and cooking around the Mediterranean Sea.
How to Stay on Track
- Eliminate tempting foods that are processed
- Buy in bulk to keep the overall cost of your groceries lower. Instead of buying two pieces of fish a week, buy more and buy it frozen so it lasts longer and you don’t find yourself at the grocery store more than you have to be
- Make sure you are eating balanced meals, even though you are allowed to eat bread, that should not be the bulk of your meal.
- Eat on a schedule to help improve your bodies digestion.
- Plan ahead and meal prep
- Eat less red meat
- Improves your mental and physical health by making sure your body is getting key nutrients
- Promotes healthy weight loss because it encourages healthy eating, not eating less
- A glass of wine a day is permitted in this diet
On the go?
If you simply run out of time to meal prep and need a fast Mediterranean fix, Cava grillis a prospering Mediterranean food chain that promotes healthy lifestyles. Cava grill began in 2006 and is now in ten states. You can even buy some of Cava’s products in markets such as Whole Foods and other fresh markets.
The reason this type of diet is manageable is because it allows people to enjoy a large range of healthy food choices without feeling limited during meal time. Instead of eating butter on white toast, drizzle olive oil over whole wheat bread instead! This diet focuses on healthy fats, but never restricts you from bread and oils entirely. Instead, it incites you to just choose the healthier alternative like whole grains, olive oil, and canola oil.