- Place the cream, milk, roasted parsnip pieces, and salt in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the mixture starts to bubble. Remove it from heat and allow the mixture to steep for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve, while pressing down on the pieces of parsnip to remove as much liquid as possible. Place the liquid in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Discard the pieces of parsnip.
- Place the sugar and eggs in a bowl and whisk until combined.
- Once the liquid is simmering, add a little bit of the milk-and-cream mixture to the egg-and-sugar mixture and whisk constantly. Add the milk-and-cream mixture in small increments until all of it has been incorporated, while taking care not to cook the eggs.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, while stirring, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and let cool. When cool, cover and transfer to the refrigerator for 6 to 24 hours.
- When you are ready to make ice cream, add the mixture to your ice cream maker and churn until the desired consistency has been achieved. Place the churned cream in the freezer for a minimum of 6 hours before serving.
Recipes and photographs excerpted from The Fresh Harvest Cookbook by Keith Sarasin and Chris Viaud. ©2021 Courtesy of Cider Mill Press Book Publishers LLC.
You may also like:
| Mar 1, 2021
How to Work from Home the Right Way
| Apr 16, 2021
Simple Ways to Improve Your Home’s Air Quality
| Nov 15, 2018
Pastrami Pork Loin
| Mar 24, 2020
An At-Home Wellness Guide
| Oct 8, 2021
Vegan Pumpkin Pie Trifle
| Jun 8, 2021
Colors That Can Bring a Sense of Calm to Your Space
| Mar 3, 2021