This classic poaching recipe is delightfully delicious and lower in fat. Beef filet is poached in a red wine broth and served on top of leeks, and then simmered in savory seasoned nonfat half-and-half.
Ingredients for beef:
Ingredients for creamy horseradish leeks:
1. In a large soup pot bring salt, broth, wine and peppercorns to a simmer over medium heat. Truss beef tenderloin with butchers twine. Use a wooden spoon to help keep the filet submerged in broth and not sitting on the bottom.
2. Poach for 15-20 minutes for medium rare, do not boil. Remove beef from the poaching liquid and let rest for 10 minutes.
3. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute garlic for 2 minutes or until tender and sprinkle with flour, creating a roux.
4. Whisk in half-and-half, beef broth and horseradish. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add leeks. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently until leeks are tender.
5. Serve beef sliced over creamed leeks.