The holiday season should be a time of joy, but all too often it is overshadowed by stress or regret. Don’t let the most wonderful time of the year become the most challenging.
Use these tips to help maintain good health and good cheer.
1. Wash your hands often and effectively. A good rule of thumb is to wash for at least twenty seconds.
2. Don’t neglect annual doctor visits just because you’re consumed by the hustle and bustle. It’s just as important to stay on top of your health now as it is any other time of year.
3. Keep the safety of your children and four- legged friends top of mind this time of year. From small toys to fire hazards to potentially harmful foods, there are more dangers around the house than you may realize. (Check out more pet safety tips on p. 48!)
4. Stay active. Whether you go for a quick walk or schedule in a midday workout, it’s paramount for you to keep moving.
5. Monitor your alcohol intake. It’s easy to overdo it during the holidays, but try to keep track of how much alcohol you’re drinking. Remember to drink water between alcoholic beverages.
6. Do what you can to prevent a foodborne illness by cooking food to the recommended temperature, avoiding cross-contamination, cleaning cookware properly, and storing away anything perishable as soon as you can.
7. Manage your stress levels. Do you leave shopping until the last minute? Are you feeling anxious about family gatherings? Take a breath, and remember to get a good night’s sleep and make time for yourself as you tackle these!