Made with low-fat ingredients, this fabulous fall twist on the classic Black Forest cake uses cranberries instead of cherries for a touch of sweet-tart flavor.
Ingredients: For the batter
Ingredients: For the glaze and topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt until blended. Add in applesauce, nonfat yogurt, vanilla, and egg whites mix until smooth.
- Grease two round cake pans with nonstick spray, and fill halfway with batter. Bake for 30 minutes or until cake is cooked. Poke cake centers with a toothpick, if the toothpick comes out clean, cakes are cooked. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- While cake is baking, combine cranberry glaze ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, and cook for 7–8 minutes or until sauce thickens. Cool glaze to room temperature before refrigerating. Keep refrigerated until ready to assemble the cake.
- Place cake on a stand, and top first layer with cranberry glaze and whipped topping (repeat this step if making multiple layers).
- Place last layer on top, and decorate with whipped topping and fresh cranberries.
Tips: Double this recipe for double the layers. Or bake batter in a muffin tin for individual cakes.
You may also like:
| Oct 11, 2020
How to Work from Home the Right Way
| Mar 24, 2020
An At-Home Wellness Guide
| Mar 19, 2020
Use the Power of Positive Thinking to Improve Your Life
| May 26, 2020
Alternatives to Soda That Will Curb Your Craving
| Apr 20, 2020
Things to Keep in Mind While Working from Home
| Apr 7, 2020
Ways to Stay Connected to Fight Off Loneliness
| May 28, 2019