Comprised of layers of passion fruit curd, mango puree, and cooling coconut yogurt and topped with crunchy coconut chips, this tropical recipe is an edible sunrise worth getting out of bed early for. It makes for a quick, self-contained breakfast or a great, fresh ﬁnale for a brunch spread. This recipe requires some effort and time, so I often make it the night before and refrigerate; these parfaits will hold up nicely in the fridge for a few days—but don’t be surprised if they disappear long before that.
- Place the passion fruit pulp, sugar, butter, and egg yolks in a medium saucepan and stir until smooth. Heat over medium-low heat while stirring constantly until barely simmering and thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. The mixture should thicken before it reaches a boil. Use a silicone spatula to push the curd through a ﬁne-mesh strainer into a medium stainless steel bowl. Place that bowl over a large bowl of ice water and stir until cool. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place the mango in a high-powdered blender or food processor and process until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large piping bag.
- Use a can opener to open the can of coconut milk. Transfer about ½ cup of the thick cream layer from the top of the can into a medium bowl. Beat with a whisk until soft peaks form, then fold into the passion fruit curd. Transfer this mixture to a large piping bag, if desired.
- In a medium bowl, whisk ½ cup coconut milk from the can with the Greek yogurt until smooth. Transfer this mixture to a large piping bag.
- Set up 6 parfait or juice glasses wide enough to accommodate a spoon. Pipe or spoon layers of the mango puree, passion fruit curd, and yogurt into each glass. Serve immediately, or refrigerate up to 2 days ahead until ready to serve. Top each glass with coconut ﬂakes right before serving.
© Eat Cool: Good Food for Hot Days by Vanessa Seder ,Rizzoli New York, 2021. Photography © Stacey Cramp.