This vegan style “meatloaf” is packed with flavor from the lentils, which are mixed with carrots, celery, onions, flax seeds, and garlic. The sweet and tangy currant glaze adds a lovely touch to this recipe.
Ingredients: For the meatloaf
For the currant glaze:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic, carrots, celery, onions, and mushrooms for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and scrape into a food processor. Pulse (do not blend) until chunky.
3. Scrape mixture into a large bowl with lentils, flaxseeds, bread crumbs, egg replacer, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
4. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, and lightly grease with pan release spray. Press meatloaf mix into a loaf pan, and bake for 30 minutes.
5. Heat ketchup and currant jelly in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking frequently for 4 minutes or until bubbly and slightly thick.
6. Remove lentil loaf from pan and invert onto a baking sheet, removing parchment, and spoon glaze on top.
7. Increase oven temperature to 425°F, and bake loaf for 5–6 minutes or until glaze caramelizes slightly. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.