One of the best parts about the holidays is that everything shines. People love the lights, the glitter, and the adornments that accompany the season—and so do your pets. They are largely curious by nature, which can be especially hazardous at this time of year.
So, if you don’t already, help your four-legged friend stay safe this season by following some simple, commonsense tips.
Food is everywhere during the holiday season, which means more opportunities for your pet to eat or
drink something he shouldn’t. The most potentially dangerous holiday foods and drinks to keep an eye on include chocolate, nuts (especially macadamias), candy, raisins, onions, garlic, fatty meat, bones, and alcohol.
For many, the Christmas tree is the focal point of the home, and it might just be for your pet as well. Trees are naturally bottom-heavy, but that can be offset by a flimsy base, so make sure your tree is solidly attached to its base to help prevent it from toppling over.
Why is your pet so attracted to the tree? There are so many shiny things on it! Among the problematic items are glass ornaments (which can break and cause cuts); tinsel, garland, and ribbons (all ingestion dangers); and lights. You can help minimize the impact of these potential hazards by hanging all of them higher on the tree.
Real plants add a special ambience to the holiday season, but they can also be poisonous to your pet. If possible, forgo mistletoe, poinsettias, holly, and lilies (for cat owners) in your home, or opt for plastic versions.
Be mindful of fire hazards that you may normally take for granted, such as wires, candles, and fireplaces. And then there are your guests, who may make your pet nervous. Make sure to establish ground rules if friends and family come over, such as no feeding, and consider keeping your pet in a closed-off room to help him feel safe.