What pairs better with apple crisp than spiced ice cream (homemade at that)?
*Recipe courtesy of Jenny Shea Rawn MS., MPH., RD., made in partnership with Planet Oat.
Ingredients for the spiced oat ice cream:
For the apple crisp filling:
For the topping:
For the Spiced Oat Ice Cream:
- Open cans of coconut milk, and drain the clear liquid and reserve for another use.
- Scoop out the thick coconut cream and place into a large mixing bowl. For this recipe, you’ll only use the thick cream. Whip coconut cream with a hand mixer until soft peaks appear, about 30 seconds.
- Add in Planet Oat oatmilk, brown sugar, apple pie spice, vanilla and salt. Whip again for about 60 more seconds.
- Pour mixture into a loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze overnight.
- Take ice cream out of freezer at least 30 minutes before scooping.
For the Maple Apple Crisp:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a round (10 in. by 2 in.) pie plate with cooking spray.
- Place apples in a large mixing bowl and toss with lemon juice. Add maple syrup, gluten-free flour and apple pie spice to the apples, and mix well with your hands to combine. Pour apples into baking dish.
- In the same large mixing bowl that you used for the apples, add oats, gluten-free flour, brown sugar, apple pie spice and salt. Mix well with your hands or a wooden spoon. Add vegan butter and vanilla to the oat mixture and combine well with your hands.
- Using your hands or a spoon, scoop oat mixture over top apple slices, patting down gently.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven for 50-60 minutes or until apples are tender and crisp is bubbly and golden brown. Serve topped with Spiced Oat Ice Cream.
You may also like:
| Aug 10, 2018
Exercising Before Breakfast: Fact or Myth?
| Jun 28, 2018
7 Common Cardio Mistakes
| Sep 21, 2018
Winter Warmers: Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
| Aug 9, 2019
Salmon Cakes with Side Salad
| Sep 24, 2017
Pineapple Coconut Smoothie Bowl
| Nov 15, 2018
Pastrami Pork Loin
| May 24, 2018